Sunday, November 9, 2014

Preparing to spread some holiday joy

One of the bloggers that I really admire is the real and the original Money Honey. Sad to say, but I created my blog and picked out this name before I stumbled upon him. (A bit embarrassing because I think people will also agree that our names are easily mixed up!)

Money Honey donates to a lot of different causes, and I am made more aware of many of these organizations because of his posts. Recently, he also set up a portfolio to self-fund his charities. Total respect.

Just the other day I was thinking to myself, what have I done for society lately?

I used to participate in programmes that was organized in school, like donation drives, activities with kids, home visits, etc. I also vividly remember putting in quite a decent sum (of my $2 daily pocket money!) into the Sharity envelope when I was in Primary school. I used to do flag days as well, and I always triumphantly return with 2 full cans. I've been told each full can of coins is probably about $100!

However, since I started working, I don't think I have been doing much. My HR department auto-deducts a token sum to the CDAC fund, and I still drop all my loose change into flaggers when I see them. (Once you flag, you really know how tough it is for the kids doing it, especially when they are usually shunned and ignored) Other than that though, it seems like nothing more.

Well, I stumbled along the interweb and I found this thing which is quite interesting: ComChest will match your donations until the end of the year, dollar for dollar! With that, I have decided to put aside some money and donate to charity! I signed up with SG Gives so that I can donate some money to various charities and manage my donations through this portal. From that portal, I can donate to a few selected charities and causes in one-shot, instead of having to visit multiple sites and fill multiple forms.

Over the next month or so, I will be reading more about these charities and I will pick a few that I will make a donation to. Of course, before the end of the year, so that the charity will get double the donation from the matching grant! :)

Anyway, don't get me wrong, this is not a call for action to anyone reading this post. This is just me sharing about what I plan to do with a bit of my holiday bonus at the end of the year, that's all :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi GMGH,

    Oops, apologies for my mistake for calling you MH in my previous comment.

    I admire you altruistic spirit. While I regularly make a donation via SG Gives at every year end, I do it for the tax deduction.

    I'm not as noble as you. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good on you. a lot of us in the markets want to take but are asymmetrically less inclined to give. that's good self awareness there. that we can choose to make a foray into the financial markets automatically makes us more fortunate than the majority of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you are embarking on this giving back to society path a serious thought. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete

Observe the house rules.