Monday, April 13, 2015

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Translated from Latin: Who will guard the guards themselves?

Or in this case twisting the meaning a little, who will protect you from the protectors?

I just saw this post from ZH, which is absolutely disgusting.


In the first video, it's showed at least 5 police officers beating up a tasered man who is on the floor. The rest are casually watching.


In the second video, police get into a scuffle with a family, beat them, tase them and then executes one of the boys. The ironic part? The family was a travelling religious band.

I was already sick in my stomach from watching a previous video of the guy getting shot 8 times in the back from running away from a cop.


This is just too much. After Eric Garner (again murdered by police on camera), I would have thought that the police would actively try to control their excessive use of force for everyday situations. Clearly, they have not.

While many are saying that police violence is on the rise, others are saying the AWARENESS of police violence is on the rise with the advent of smartphones and other video recording advices. I think both.

I think too many people really take the safety of Singapore for granted. If something like this happened here, it would be headline news for weeks. In America, a police officer kills someone every 6.5 hours. I guess since it's so common, nobody really cares anymore.


I hear damn a lot of talk about people fed up with Singapore and want to migrate, but no action. Just trawl through comment sections from cesspools like TR Emeritus and you'll see what I mean. They are people who just rage against the system, but obviously don't do anything about it. I don't know how these people will migrate though, since a 2.8% fare hike in public transport ruffles their panties. Maybe they can sneak onto a bus to JB or something.

I have been to many places around the world. There are very very few places which I find are safer than Singapore. Most of those safe cities? Small town community with like less than 300 people. Which is a whole different situation from a freaking tiny island with 5+ million people running around.

I don't know about you, but I have trouble trying to recall when was the last time I saw a policeman in Singapore. And that is a good thing in my opinion. Since I usually only talk about economic progress on this blog, here's to us winning America in social progress as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Observe the house rules.