Sunday, June 14, 2015

Equal Pay for Equal Work?

Hey guys!

It's that time of the year again when I piss a lot of people off by pointing out societies double standards! As some might know, I really really dislike double standards.

I am looking forward to the same old "you just wait one day then you know" and "you know nothing" comments.


Oh well, screw that. What's the point of being on the fringe if I can't rile up the "mainstream"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I saw this in the newspaper today...


Look at the red box which I highlighted.

I'm not going to talk about gender equality or whatever, but I'm just going to point out some logic here.

If a woman should bring home the same amount of money as a man doing the same job, does that also mean that...

A foreign worker should bring home the same amount of money as a local for doing the same job?

Equal pay for equal work, right?

If a bus driver is from China, should he get the some salary as a Singaporean?
If a nurse is Fillipino, should she get the some salary as a Singaporean?

Equal pay for equal work, right?

Of course, the counter-argument is that the "quality" of foreigners are sub-standard to locals. The most common example is how a degree of the University of XXX foreign country is cheaper, easier to obtain and just overall inferior to a Singaporean degree holder. (The irony being that it is common censuses to Singaporeans that attended overseas universities that the specific university that they attended just is the same caliber as the local ones, and is nothing like the inferior "foreign universities" that foreigners graduate from)

Then again, the counter-argument to that counter-argument is that employers are not so easily fooled. They know that a degree from Havard is not the same as one from the University of GMGH.

Which is right, which is wrong?

I don't know.

But if you think men and women should get the same pay for the same type of work, then by that logic you must also think that foreigners and locals should get the same pay for the same type of work.

Equal pay for equal work, right?

In case you miss the double standard here, our society is all for

"equal pay for equal work" *terms & conditions apply.

Which is right, which is wrong?

I don't know.

I'm just saying.

Now, at this point, I would like to end my post. Some people after reading this post, or even parts of it, might feel very obliged to share with me their expert opinions about my idiocy and their higher intelligence. Sure, say whatever you want, but you better observe my house rules.

5 comments:

  1. In every part of the world, this is probably the same play.
    There's hardly any equality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Equality only when it is convenient and suits their case, no equality when it does not.

      I'm not trying to change the world, I'm just pointing out what I see so that I know how to live and deal with reality.

      The mountain does not move out of my way, I go around the mountain.

      Delete
  2. All kinds of wrong in this post! Not even sure - what's your argument? That Singaporean women are closer to foreign workers than Singaporean men? Just doesn't make sense - having female body parts means being an inferior worker??

    Because of backwards views like this, there's less babies being born in the world today. The more women are respected in the workplace, in society in general, the higher the birthrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no argument, I'm just saying what the situation looks like to me.

      What is your argument? It seems to me that you have the same view of society here - that Singaporean men and women should be paid and treated equally, BUT foreigners should be inferior.

      That just doesn't make sense to me. Having a different arrangement of letters on your passport means being an inferior worker? Isn't that even MORE trivial than the differences between men and women?

      Are you trying to say that only men and women of the same nationality can be equals? Foreigners can not?

      My point that I am trying to make is that: IF EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK, what difference is it that the person doing the job in a Singaporean man, a Singaporean woman, a foreign man or a foreign woman?

      Delete
  3. Hi GMGH,

    I have to make a disclaimer that I have not read the whole news article.

    The first impression that I get is all things being equal, ceteris peribus, i.e. same education level, same university, same faculty, same class of honours etc etc, a man and a woman should be paid the same for equal work done, i.e. no gender discrimination.

    That may be the point the author had wanted to bring across. I think we have to look into the context of the matter. A foreigner who graduate with the same education level, same university, same faculty, same class of honours etc etc, should also be paid equal for equal work. Why not.

    Least to say, that's an utopian ideal that will not never happen.

    Why? Too many qualitative factors, some of which you have brought up. Work is also never equal.

    I am with you on double standards but have come to realise it's in every aspect of our lives. Some can be argued for a case, others may be trickier. In this instance, equal pay for equal work belongs to the later category.

    HK

    ReplyDelete

Observe the house rules.