Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Slow Down


With the markets jumping around and everyone throwing out calls for tops and bottoms all over the place, everything is getting noisy. You know things are noisy when suddenly traditional news media feels inclined to explain the drop in stock markets and what it means for everyone. Another sure sign is when people with no knowledge about the markets are out on social media sharing articles and opinions.

I'm just casually managing my sister's and mother's combined portfolio according to what I've planned and thought about for the longest time. Very little "feeling" is involved in managing the portfolio. It is very automatic and actually slightly therapeutic to do the sums at the end of the month to report to my family.

For myself, I'm tuning out most of the noise and just looking at the things which I think matter. I'm not too gungho now because I don't think that the market goes from top to bottom in just 2 weeks. If we really did top out, then we are in for a rather long drawn out bear market. I highly doubt we see the usual v-shaped rallies to new all-time highs. From the cycle watchers that I follow, many think we see the biggest moves by October and then choppy markets until early 2016. That ties in rather well with what I've been planning myself.

I am taking nibbles in the market, not because I think it is at the bottom, but because I'm a damn contrarian. It burns my soul to see names 30% of their peaks and I just have to own them, even if it is just 100 shares. It helps me psychologically endure the wait since I get to periodically buy some stuff. I told you, fugly charts turn me on. I'm trying very hard to resist the temptation to go into the market guns ablazin'.

Even then, my capital is severely limited. At best, I think I can afford to double up my capital that is currently in my SGX portfolio. At best. I predict it would be much lower. As mentioned, I am looking for a property fallout and I am hoping to enter the property market then. Given that predicted course of action, cash is precious and I can't really willy-nilly go into the markets and start averaging down my positions as much as I want to. Ammunition is limited, and I've got to make it count. I really don't feel like it's time to even load the bullets yet.

Tuning out the market has been rather easy for me lately. I've been swamped at work. I'm currently heading a project and I have another one lined up right after this. These projects will keep me busy until year end. I also have a work trip coming up as well. On top of that, I've also been busy learning and practicing my new language. It has actually been something that I've been planning to do for a while, so I am glad that I am making very good progress! I have also been busy starting a real, proper exercise schedule. I think that I might actually have a weekly post where I recap and summarize my exercises for the week as well as start and monitor a to-do list of things. I think if I have a weekly review, it would keep me more motivated to continue exercising, as well as motivation to slowly tackle and strike things off my to-do list, one by one. It might not all be personal finance related, but I would like to draw on the discipline and passion that I have for blogging to help me.

What's the rush? What's the hurry?

Take it easy, take it slow. Good decisions don't come from rashness.



Emmy Rossum is such a beautiful brunette by the way. See, I don't only ogle at Drea Chong and listen to dubstep. I really like the introduction and the emotional depth of this song. No Rihanna, I do not want to stand under your umbrella.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Observe the house rules.