Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The difference between "Can" and "Should"

One of the things that I've noticed now that I am older is how juvenile some arguments tend to be.



Just because something CAN be done in one way, that does not mean that it SHOULD be done that way.

There are millions of examples of things that you CAN do, but you SHOULD not do.

Can I stay at home all day, don't work and watch TV? Can.
Should I stay at home all day, don't work and watch TV? Probably not.

Can I not study, not work and be on welfare? Can.
Should I not study, not work and be on welfare? Probably not.

Can I pull down my pants and take a shit on the MRT? Can.
Should I pull down my pants and take a shit on the MRT? Probably not.

Can I go to the kitchen, take out a knife and chop off one of my fingers? Can.
Should I go to the kitchen, take out a knife and chop off one of my fingers? Probably not.

Can I exercise my "universal" right of "free speech" and say to someone whatever I want? Can.
Should I exercise my "universal" right of "free speech" and say to someone whatever I want? Probably not.

Whether something is illegal or immoral does not affect whether an action can or cannot be done.
However, just because something is not illegal or immoral does not mean that it should be done.

Can I have 10 children if I do not have the financial means to raise them? Can.
Should I have 10 children if I do not have the financial means to raise them? Probably not.

Can I spend all my money and rely on social welfare for my retirement years? Can.
Should I spend all my money and rely on social welfare for my retirement years? Probably not.

Simple people ask if it can be done this way.
Smarter people ask if it should be done this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Observe the house rules.