Monday, May 23, 2016

[SGX Portfolio] Apr 2016 Update

It's been a while, and I've been so busy and lazy, but I've finally updated my SGX portfolio.

As mentioned previously, this will be my attempt at having a monthly update of my SGX portfolio. I have also updated that page to include the historical growth of my portfolio. I find it personally encouraging to know I've come so far from where I started. Hopefully other people may be inspired and also decided to embark on their financial journey.
"The journey of a million miles begins with a single step"
Anyway, here are the current stats of the portfolio as of end April 2016.



Total Cost    $25,887.90     
Unrealized Gains-$2,202.55
Accumulated Dividends $1,296.87
Realized Gains$879.45

*Total Cost is initial purchase cost of the current portfolio
*Unrealized Gains represents the unrealized capital gains on securities still held in the portfolio
*Accumulated Dividends is the total of all dividends collected thus far

*Realized Gains will only take into account the final net capital gain or loss after including transaction costs to close a long position on a security. 

First off, apologies again for not updating in a long time. I've been really busy, which is why I've been posting less frequently and also I'm slow to reply back to comments. I have been begrudgingly updating my portfolio statistics though, so if you go to the sticky page and see the interactive graph, it would give you the important numbers, month by month.

Let's start with the changes to my portfolio. I sold off of Golden Agri ($0.425 average price) at a minuscule profit when it reached $0.43. It peaked out at $0.44 a few days later and it is now sitting at $0.36, so I think it was a decent call. I've been waiting too long for oil palm to turn around and I decided to get out now while I had the chance. After transaction costs, the profit was $1.45. Meh.

I used the money that I got to enter into Global Investments at $0.128. The lowest it has been in recent times is $0.127. I think many people view Global Investments as a shady high yield investment, but I think it is rather under appreciated. I don't want to be too exposed in this, but with my allocation at 2.6%, I don't think I have much to worry. I can pump in plenty more before I get to an unhealthy level of overexposure.

One key change to my portfolio is that I have recognized Saizen's big special dividend payout to be considered as closing out my Saizen position and booking the excess as realized profit. What this means is that my invested capital has been reduced and profits booked, while I still have my "free" remaining shares of Saizen that could give me that last bit of final returns sometime in the future.

Overall, including dividends and realized gains, my portfolio is only down 0.1%. However, considering that the STI is down 20% from it's peak, I would say that I'm doing pretty well.

Annual income from dividends is now expected to be about $1619 for a full year, (taking into account Keppel's cut) but of course I collected some and miss out others by not owning them the entire period. That brings the expected monthly income to $134.92 and daily income to be $4.44.

Based on the dividends I am expected to collect, my portfolio dividend yield on cost is estimated to be about 6.26%. I have taken the lower bound estimate for most of my counters, so it is quite possible to have surprises to the upside. My portfolio yield is rather stable around 6% now, since new additions are generally on the upper end based on their individual yield history.

In the coming months I expect the Singapore stock market to continue to perform poorly. My current strategy is to just brace myself and incrementally add on oversold opportunities. If my thesis is right, there are going to be plenty more opportunities in the coming months. I remain heavily in cash.

I plan to accumulate the blue chips as we continue to sink, while I leave the very juicy and highly attractive REITs to be accumulated when the market is recovering. I would aim for quality and stability on the way down, but on the way back up I should be spraying all over and going for those which I think would have rather handsome upside opportunities.

What drives me with the sharing of my SGX portfolio is to show people an example of how one can work towards their dreams - with discipline and hard work.

Rome wasn't built in one day. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Where are you heading?

5 comments:

  1. Hey I noticed that each investment is very small (many are less than 1k for a number of them). Any reason for that?
    I am just thinking that the brokerage is going to be quite significant, since each buy is at least charged at about $25?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi R.

      Yup just like bQ mentioned, I used SCB for transacting. My transaction costs has been dirt cheap. I doubt its more than $200!

      Delete
  2. Probably using standard chartered trading account, like me. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup bQ, I used SCB! I heard there a no-comission sort of brokerage that being discussed to be launched in SG. Together with Smartly, looks like regular investors like us are going to be looking at lower costs moving forward!

      Delete
    2. Have you received the letter about SCB new brokerage fees moving forward in Aug? What are your plans in response to it?

      Delete

Observe the house rules.