Wednesday, June 29, 2016

All of the Android Pay Lobangs!!!

Honestly, it caught me by surprise too. I didn't realize that Android Pay had just released in Singapore until I saw this piece by CNA! (more info from ST)

What is Android Pay? Well, the name says it all, doesn't it? Instead of Apple Pay (only Apple products) and Samsung Pay (only the new Samsung models), Android pay is a LOT more flexible in terms of features and also phones that it can be used with.

As a Samsung S6 user, I felt cheated and sad that I couldn't use Samsung Pay because my phone was just 1 version off from the required one. With Android Pay, the number of handsets that can be used is very very large.

There are only 2 requirements to use Android Pay:
  1. Near Field Communication (NFC) and Host Card Emulation (HCE)
  2. Android 4.4 Kitkat or higher 
Yes guys, THAT IS IT. I was super psyched about it and I immediately loaded up 2 of my cards that I have with me so that I can see how the UX was. I have to say, it's very simple and clean. Very hard to go wrong. Your bank also verifies with you that you have loaded in your cards, so security-wise, it passes all the ticks for me!

As of now, Android Pay only works with DBS/POSB, OCBC, SCB and UOB for their Mastercard and Visa cards. The good news is that they allow unlimited number of cards to be loaded onto their app, while the other payment apps are restricted to only 8 or 10 cards.

Being the useful blogger that I am, I have gone around to collate the best deals by all the banks that have collaborated with Android Pay, so here you go!


 As you can see, the simplest card to get your rebates from is with POSB/DBS. With just a very low spending on $40, you can get back $10 or 25% of rebates. That is... insane! It's a pretty good deal in my opinion! The only thing that you have to be mindful about is that you need to hit $40 of spending within your first 5 transactions, so you should not make very small purchases until you have managed to claim your maximum amount of rebate! Only available for the first 10,000 customers to make a transaction, but you have until 30 Sep to claim your max rebate of $10!

SCB is pretty awesome too, with a nice 20% or $50 of rebates up for grabs! The optimum spending amount is $250, which honestly isn't too hard to spend, especially if you know you're getting back 20%. Although there is no restrictions on the number of transactions, you need to be the first 5,000 to make a transaction, and the rebate period only lasts until 28 Jul!

OCBC has the most relaxed terms, but that is also because it has the lowest rebate amount. Nevertheless, it is still pretty juicy! You get 5% rebates on all your spending until 31 Jul, and you don't need to rush to pay for anything to be the first few to lock in your first transactions! Very nice!

Unfortunately, UOB is nonchalant about this and gives no shits about Android Pay because they have no promotions at all. Why did they even bother in the first place?

So, where can you use Android Pay? Very very simple. Anywhere that accepts the typical contactless payments of MC Paypass or Visa Paywave!

One important thing to note is that the first card that you load into your Android Pay wallet is your default card. If you want to spend on another card, be sure to select the other card and make it your default card. It seems like a hassle now, especially if you're trying to maximise your rebates from the different card promotions now, but I quite like that there is a default option, because I usually only use 1 credit card for spending.

Today I went to the supermarket and bought some small tidbits. I asked the lady if I could pay by contactless card. I tapped my phone and viola, the payment was done! Honestly, this is pretty awesome. It's very handy for people with many cards, and I would be much more inclined to apply for and use different credit cards if I don't need to always carry them around with me in my wallet by having them in my phone instead!

Anyway, let me know what you guys think of Android Pay! Better than Samsung or Apple Pay? It kind of feels that way to me, haha! I'm looking forward for more banks to hop on this bandwagon, and also for more promotions!

4 comments:

  1. Am not enticed in any of the Pay because it merely encourages me to spend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I realised that if you press and hold a card in your available card list , you can move around the cards into different order, and even change the default card

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are wondering why UOB does not offer any rebates, they have already invested heavily in their own UOB mighty payment app for android phones launched last year, and they are now hit by the triple whammy of contactless payment by Apple, Samsung and Android pay. In fact UOB cards are not available on Samsung pay.

    ReplyDelete

Observe the house rules.