Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Cost of Raising a Child in SG vs MY

Check out this infographic that compares the cost of raising a child in SG vs MY. The source article is here.


From the looks of it, the direct costs is cheaper in MY compared to SG. However, the quality of everything such as the healthcare services and education is hard to quantify and place a dollar value on. Finally, SG seems to offset much of the costs through plenty of government subsidies, which are always conveniently forgotten.

Honestly, I truly believe that having children is a very large FINANCIAL decision. As much as society and culture have endlessly preached that the end goal of humans is to grow up, spawn kids and then die, I am one of the few that stand against this line of thought. Having children is not only way to be happy, although I do acknowledge that plenty plenty of people find happiness in that. I'd probably enjoy that too, but there is absolutely nothing wrong deciding not to have children, especially if that decision stems from financial shortcomings.

There aren't nearly enough controls to ensure that potential parents are sufficiently educated before being allowed to get a kid, whereas some pet breeders don't even let you pay them for an animal if you come off as irresponsible or uneducated. That's right, I said it. In some places, it can be harder to buy a freaking dog than to pump out a baby.


Sometimes I think people just say being parents is the best thing ever because its a decision that they can't turn back, so they might as well just embrace it. Anyway, like I said, I'm not arguing for or against being a parent. My main point is that raising kids is a financial decision, and if you only approach it from an emotional viewpoint, be prepared to be very, very, very shocked.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know about Malaysia Tuition rates, but the tution rates in Singapore are not that low.. Its about 160 per month for Pri and 200 per month for Secondary. And if you consider private tutor for your kid. The figure is even more staggering.

    Also Uni education in SG is not 27,750, its 31800 as mentioned on NUS website for business course. The article you have linked may have been using very old data on SG side. On the toddler's end, the mass market preschool, "First Skool by NTUC", is charging in the region of $1,350. The cost estimate for our country is outdated, imo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad, Uni fees is $28,500 for 3 years Bachelor Business (unfrotunately many grads now do not study 3 years in university, but 4 years)

      Delete
    2. Hi Choon Yuan,

      I'm hoping my kid is quite garang and do part time jobs to lessen my burden, haha!

      Agreed that the rates are definitely higher, but the difference in quality is hard to measure whether if it is indeed worth it or not! I would say... yes? But I'm biased, haha!

      Delete
  3. May I know why Malaysian baby is born in Private hospital and Singapore baby is born in government hospital?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sureshkumar,

      I didn't come up with the infographic, but I would imagine that it is because most Singaporeans are born at government hospitals, while there is a decent amount of Malaysians that specifically opt for private hospitals in their case?

      Delete
  4. It is a great job.

    I just look at the traffic flow. Many more Malaysians opt to come to Singapore to study, work and settle down. While some Singaporeans go over to buy house and retire there. That will tell you much more than trying to analyse.
    It is the same as which countries are better to reside. Just look at the flow of immigrants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon,

      Excellent point about the flow of people! There are indeed many Malaysians coming to Singapore to live and work. Although I have seen quite a lot of talk about it, I personally do not know of anyone that has decided to move to Malaysia to retire! Perhaps I am too young to know people like that.

      Delete

Observe the house rules.