Friday, December 23, 2016

#GivingWeek 2016 Update

This is the update from my previous post at the start of the month.


Anyway, this is just me showing my accountability that I do what I said I'll do.

I found out that the giving.sg offers a much better and smoother user experience compared to when I was using it last year. It's really very easy to donate. Just sign up, add charities to your cart, check out!

I was looking back at my update post about this last year and I remembered the comment that J left about the earning-to-give strategy that some people have when it comes to charity.

I have a friend that volunteers weekly out of pure kindness, so sometimes I feel horrible that I'm not doing anything more for society. Donating kind of feels like the least effort way of contributing. In a sense, I like the concept of the earning-to-give strategy because it kind of helps me justify why I am not out there at the frontlines volunteering for any of the above charities whose mission and programmes that I support.

But then again, the case for earning to give is really quite strong. Even GiveWell, which is one of the most trusted and respected sites for charitable donations weighed in on it. They even mention how it sort of feels like the "easy way out" (just like what I said in the paragraph above), but their view is that earning to give is a good additional route for people to be proactive in their charity, instead of reactive and I do agree with them about this. Having more people with the mindset of being self-involved definitely makes things easier than trying to constantly convince or remind people about their charitable cause.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not dissing volunteer work at all. I'm just bringing this idea up again to examine a more fringe way of thinking with regards to charity work and donations.

Anyway, that was a rather long rambling about nothing financial at all.

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and I wish everyone Happy Holidays! Have a great end of the year everybody!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the article and the link to giving.sg : helpful way to be able to give back to society !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, np, just sharing my experiences and thoughts.

      Delete

Observe the house rules.