Monday, March 23, 2015

Thank You Sir

In my close to 26 years wandering around this red dot, I have never had the rare opportunity to bump into or see Mr Lee Kuan Yew in person.

All I know about him is what I've seen in textbooks, books, newspapers, online articles and on TV. I've never seen the man in action live.

To be fair, when I first started secondary school and was aware of anything, he was in his late 70s. The only think I remember was that he went from Senior Minister to Minister Mentor.

There was the running joke that soon after, he would become Senior Minister Mentor, and then Super Senior Minister Mentor. It was a funny thing at that time.

While Mr Lee clearly touched a lot of people, I think many people have let recency bias affect them in the way that they see and judge him as a political figure, especially the youths. What has my generation seen or heard about LKY? Same as me, whatever we were taught or we saw on TV.

I think many people have forgotten what a great leader Mr Lee was when he was much younger and was a fully active politician running the country. When I was doing research back in my uni days about politics, I stumbled upon this old video of our then PM, Mr Lee.


People have asked me, "Why are you sad, what has he done for you?". I can't say that any of his specific policies were meant for or dedicated for me, but I like to believe that he made decisions based on what he thought was the best for the country at that time, whether it was a popular decision or not.

While it may be a big exaggeration to think that Mr Lee single-handedly brought us to where we are today, he did play a very large part in the overall picture.


Personally, I am very happy with the Singapore that I live in today, and I attribute much of the features and benefits that we have today to things that Mr Lee set in motion many moons ago.

Here's to the man who made it so that I am blogging in English and not Chinese. 

Thank you Sir.

2 comments:

  1. great post. i face the same questions today as well - why am i so sad? I feel deeply the passing of a brilliant man who devoted himself to the advancement of a country, to the 2 million voters he felt responsible for, above all, i feel deeply that some young people today (excluding you) do not understand how difficult, or nearly impossible a task he had in building an integrated nation in those precarious days, and how what we have in Singapore does not come easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi gagmewithaspoon,

      Thanks for the comment. I hope with all the information and past being dug up to reflect upon this great man, many Singaporeans and foreigners abroad can appreciate and understand why LKY did the things he did and how it was not an easy and smooth sailing journey. Deep respect for the man.

      Delete

Observe the house rules.